Schädowitz (Jihomoravský kraj, Czech Republic)
Schadowitz (Schaidowitz), Moravia, today Žádovice, about 1550 owned by the lord Sigmund von Zastrizil. In 1553 the Hutterites established a Bruderhof here. The Chronik reports the death of a number of preachers at this place, including Paul Glock 1585, Veit Grünberger, and Hans Baldauff 1587. During the Bosckay invasion of 1605-1606, and again during the early years of the Thirty Years’ War the Bruderhof was plundered by hordes of soldiers not less than eleven times. When the Hutterites were summarily expelled from Moravia in 1622, this Bruderhof also had to be abandoned.
Zieglschmid, A. J. F. Die älteste Chronik der Hutterischen Brüder: Ein Sprachdenkmal aus frühneuhochdeutscher Zeit. Ithaca: Cayuga Press, 1943.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, pp. 1119-1120. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Bender, Harold S. "Schädowitz (Jihomoravský kraj, Czech Republic)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 18 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/schaedowitz_jihomoravsky_kraj_czech_republic.
APA style: Bender, Harold S. (1959). Schädowitz (Jihomoravský kraj, Czech Republic). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/schaedowitz_jihomoravsky_kraj_czech_republic.