Shelby County (Illinois, USA)
Shelby County, Illinois, is located in the southern half of the state, approximately 50 miles southeast of Springfield. In 1872 a small Old Order Amish settlement was established in the county by settlers from Elkhart and Lagrange counties, Indiana, and Holmes County, Ohio. Among them were Jacob Miller, a minister, and Christian Borntreger, later ordained minister. Because of a disagreement among the organizers, most of the settlers moved away in 1883, principally to Reno County, Kansas.
In 1907 John D. Kauffman and his followers established another Amish Mennonite settlement in the county near Shelbyville. Their church, named Mt. Hermon, was built in 1912. The membership had declined to 41 by 1957. Joseph D. Reber was bishop.
Weber, Harry F. Centennial History of the Mennonites of Illinois. Goshen, 1931: 550, 558.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, pp. 512-513. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Gingerich, Melvin. "Shelby County (Illinois, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 18 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/shelby_county.
APA style: Gingerich, Melvin. (1959). Shelby County (Illinois, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/shelby_county.