Sichar Mennonite Church (Cordell, Oklahoma, USA)
Sichar Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite Church) now extinct, located at Cordell, Oklahoma, was organized on 14 April 1896, with the help of Elder Jacob Toews of Newton, Kansas, by a group of Mennonite settlers who withdrew from the Bergthal Mennonite Church. The first minister was Peter Pankratz. In 1896 Michael Klaassen was ordained minister. The first services were held in a schoolhouse. In 1897 a church located on the Jacob Janzen farm was dedicated. In 1899 the congregation divided, the part called the Herold Mennonite Church obtaining possession of the church building. The other group, under the name Sichar Mennonite Church, in 1900 erected a new church building 2 ½ miles south of the Herold church. Gradually members began to affiliate with the near-by Herold Mennonite Church. During November 1947 the church agreed to dissolve.
Krehbiel, H. P. Mennonite Churches of North America. Canton, 1911.
Kliewer, Menno H. "History of the Sichar Mennonite Church, Oklahoma." term paper, Bethel College, 1944.
Kroeker, Marvin "Mennonites in the Oklahoma 'Runs.'" Mennonite Life X (July 1955): 114.
Western District Conference Minutes, 1900-48.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 522. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Krahn, Cornelius. "Sichar Mennonite Church (Cordell, Oklahoma, USA) ." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 18 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/sichar_mennonite_church.
APA style: Krahn, Cornelius. (1959). Sichar Mennonite Church (Cordell, Oklahoma, USA) . Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/sichar_mennonite_church.