Slavgorod Mennonite Orphanage (Halbstadt, Slavgorod Mennonite Settlement, Siberia, Russia)
Slavgorod Mennonite Orphanage was organized in 1919 when Peter Löwen of Halbstadt in Slavgorod Mennonite settlement of Siberia, placed his newly established home at the disposal of the settlement for the purpose of caring for the orphans of the community. The dedication took place in September 1919. Some 50 orphans had been accepted. Mr. and Mrs. Nikolai Friesen of Gnadenheim were the house parents, assisted by a Vollrat, of Germany. Jacob Derksen of Schöntal was the teacher. The Mennonite community was responsible for the support of the institution. Help for the workers was received from private sources and through the Mennonites of America. Of the two freight car loads of clothing which came from North America to Slavgorod, the orphanage received a considerable share. Soon the Communist Party caused difficulties. Under pressure of the Soviet government the orphanage dissolved and the children were distributed in families.
Fast, Gerhard. In den Stephen Sibiriens. Rosthern, 1957: 80.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 540. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Krahn, Cornelius. "Slavgorod Mennonite Orphanage (Halbstadt, Slavgorod Mennonite Settlement, Siberia, Russia) ." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 23 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/slavgorod_mennonite_orphanage.
APA style: Krahn, Cornelius. (1959). Slavgorod Mennonite Orphanage (Halbstadt, Slavgorod Mennonite Settlement, Siberia, Russia) . Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/slavgorod_mennonite_orphanage.