South Danvers Mennonite Church (Danvers, Illinois, USA)
South Danvers Mennonite Church, located two miles (3.2 km.) south of Danvers, McLean County, Illinois, was formed by the Hessian Mennonites from Butler County, Ohio, who had begun to have worship in their homes in 1842, then joined the Yoder Amish Church (North Danvers), when it built its meetinghouse in 1853 about five miles northeast of Danvers. But in 1859 the Hessian group withdrew, building its own meetinghouse in 1864, with about 100 members. In 1908 it joined the Central Conference. In 1914 the congregation added a rented church building in the town of Danvers, and in 1919 closed the country building. In 1943, with 34 members left, it merged with North Danvers. Early ministers ware Michael Kistler 1842-1855, and Christian Gingerich 1855-1908. John Kinsinger and John Gingerich were the leaders from 1885 to the late 1920s.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 1127. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Bender, Harold S. "South Danvers Mennonite Church (Danvers, Illinois, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 22 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/south_danvers_mennonite_church_danvers_illinois_usa.
APA style: Bender, Harold S. (1959). South Danvers Mennonite Church (Danvers, Illinois, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/south_danvers_mennonite_church_danvers_illinois_usa.