South Perkasie (Perkasie, Pennsylvania, USA)
South Perkasie, a village adjoining Perkasie, Bucks County, Pennsylvania, formerly also known as Bridgetown (for its covered bridge which was still in use in 1958) and Benjamin. In 1866 a Lutheran, Stephen Young, called a meeting in his home of persons interested in building a church. Mennonites, Lutherans, and Reformed worked together in the efforts to provide a church building for the area. The Mennonites purchased the lot on which the building was to be erected. In the final analysis, however, it was the Lutherans and Reformed who used the building. The Mennonites are not known to have ever held regular services there. The site was about midway between the Rockhill and Blooming Glen Mennonite meetinghouses, and only a few miles from each; so there was no particular need for the Mennonites to use the new house of worship.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, pp. 587-588. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Wenger, J. C. "South Perkasie (Perkasie, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 23 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/south_perkasie.
APA style: Wenger, J. C. (1959). South Perkasie (Perkasie, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/south_perkasie.