Southwestern Pennsylvania Conference News (Periodical)
This publication was begun as Southwestern Pennsylvania Mission News, a bimonthly, on 23 November 1936. The first editors were Sanford G. Shetler and John L. Horst. It began as a mimeographed sheet. With the issue of 25 January 1938, it was changcd to a four-page, printed sheet, 6 x 8 inches, enlarged in January 1939 to 9 x 12 inches. In May 1942, by conference action, the name of the paper was changed to Southwestern Pennsylvania Conference News, and its contents were adapted to represent the four conference-wide organizations—Church Conference, Mission Board, Sunday School Conference (now known as the Christian Education Conference), and Associated Sewing Circles. In April 1954 the paper was changed to a monthly and in September 1954 the title was changed to Allegheny Conference News after the conference adopted a new constitution which changed its name from Southwestern Pennsylvania to Allegheny. It continues as the official organ of the four conference-wide organizations of Allegheny Conference (Mennonite Church).
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 589. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Horst, John L., Sr. "Southwestern Pennsylvania Conference News (Periodical)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 18 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/southwestern_pennsylvania_conference_news.
APA style: Horst, John L., Sr. (1959). Southwestern Pennsylvania Conference News (Periodical). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/southwestern_pennsylvania_conference_news.