Spijker, an old Dutch word for warehouse. The Dutch Mennonites in the 16-17th centuries often bought warehouses and adapted them for use as meetinghouses; hence the name "spijker" sometimes remained usual for these meetinghouses. In Amsterdam the Groote Spijker near the Jan Rodenpoorts Toren on the Singel Canal was from 1604 the meetinghouse of the Amsterdam Waterlander congregation. It remained in use after the Waterlander merger with the Lamist congregation in 1668. In 1801 after a fusion of Lamists and Zonists in Amsterdam, the pulpit and the organ of the Zon meetinghouse were installed in tire Groote Spijker. This meetinghouse was used until 1812, and was razed in 1814. Its organ and pulpit are now in the Leeuwarden church, which bought them in 1812 for 2800 Dutch guilders.
Before the Waterlanders acquired the Groote Spijker, they had held their meetings in the Kleine Spijker in the Teerketelsteeg. This Kleine Spijker (Oude Spijker) was taken over by a Frisian Mennonite congregation in 1604.
Hoop Scheffer, Jacob Gijsbert de. Inventaris der Archiefstukken berustende bij de Vereenigde Doopsgezinde Gemeente to Amsterdam, 2 vols. Amsterdam: Uitgegeven en ten geschenke aangeboden door den Kerkeraad dier Gemeente, 1883-1884: v. II, Nos. 82-99, 1341 f.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, pp. 595-596. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: van der Zijpp, Nanne. "Spijker." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 19 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/spijker.
APA style: van der Zijpp, Nanne. (1959). Spijker. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/spijker.