Spink Hutterite Colony (Frankfort, South Dakota, USA)
Spink Hutterite Bruderhof, called Spink Hutterian Brethren, Inc., of the Schmiedeleut group, located near Frankfort, South Dakota, was founded in 1905 by members of the Wolf Creek Bruderhof. In 1918 they sold this land and moved to Alberta, founding the Stand-Off Colony near Macleod. In 1944 the Bon Homme commune bought this site and rebuilt it; eleven families with Johannes Wipf, who had been chosen to the ministry in 1934, from Bon Homme settled here. Joseph Wipf was chosen preacher in Spink in 1946. In 1958 the commune numbered 152 souls.
Daughter colonies of Spink Hutterite Colony include Collins Hutterite Colony (Iroquois, South Dakota), Hutterville Hutterite Colony (Stratford, South Dakota), and Plainview Hutterite Colony (Leola, South Dakota).
In 2012 the Spink Hutterite Colony was a Schmiedeleut Group 2 colony. The minister was Samuel Wipf and the manager was Paul Wipf Jr.
Location: Frankfort, South Dakota (coordinates: 44.747778, -98.293056 [44˚ 44 52″ N, 98˚ 17′ 35″ W])
Address: 18206 Spink Lane, Frankfort, SD 57440-7207
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 596. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Decker, David, Joseph Wipf and Bert Friesen. "Spink Hutterite Colony (Frankfort, South Dakota, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. March 2013. Web. 24 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/spink_hutterite_bruderhof_frankfort_south_dakota.
APA style: Decker, David, Joseph Wipf and Bert Friesen. (March 2013). Spink Hutterite Colony (Frankfort, South Dakota, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/spink_hutterite_bruderhof_frankfort_south_dakota.