St. Jacobs (Ontario, Canada)
St. Jacobs is a village (pop. in 1959, 725) 9 miles north of Kitchener, Waterloo County, Ontario (coordinates: 43° 32′ 22.5″ N, 80° 33′ 11″ W). In the late 1950s approximately 250 Mennonites lived in the village with another 1,000 or so near by. The Mennonite Church group had a church of 400 members in the village. Three Wisler Old Order Mennonite churches were within two miles of the village. Mennonites owned a blacksmith shop, a general store, a produce market, two woodworking shops, two garages, an implement agency, a paint shop, and a weaver shop. Practically all the inhabitants spoke the Pennsylvania-German language.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 402. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Koch, Roy S. "St. Jacobs (Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 25 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/st._jacobs.
APA style: Koch, Roy S. (1959). St. Jacobs (Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/st._jacobs.