Strickler Mennonite Church (York County, Pennsylvania, USA)
Strickler Mennonite Church, now extinct. Henry Strickler settled southeast of Columbia, Pennsylvania, and Jacob and Henry went to Hellman Township, York County, early to establish a Mennonite community. About 1790 Jacob sold from his 150-acre farm a three-cornered plot to Henry Strickler, Andrew Garber, and Abraham Flury for a Mennonite meetinghouse. The brick was imported from England for a 30 x 28 ft. building directly south of the Lincoln Highway, about two miles west of Wrightsville. The well-kept Strickler burying ground is about a quarter mile east. The congregation was under Lancaster Conference and was served by Frederick Stauffer as bishop, Daniel Stauffer and David Witmer as ministers, and Michael Strickler as deacon in the late 1880s. Witmer's, now known as Stony Brook, absorbed this membership and by 1920 the house was razed and plot sold.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 646. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Landis, Ira D. "Strickler Mennonite Church (York County, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 21 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/strickler_mennonite_church.
APA style: Landis, Ira D. (1959). Strickler Mennonite Church (York County, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/strickler_mennonite_church.