Stumptown Mennonite Church (Monterey, Pennsylvania, USA)
Stumptown Mennonite Church, located near Monterey, 8 miles northeast of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, in Upper Leacock Township, a member of the Lancaster Conference, was an outgrowth of the enlarging Mellinger congregation to the northeast. The members used a schoolhouse on the present meetinghouse site until 1846, when a worship center was built. This was enlarged in 1882 and replaced in 1916 by a 48 x 80 ft. brick structure. It was here during the summer of 1868 that John B. Landis and John Stauffer and their wives conducted a small Sunday school before the movement had conference approval. It was a part of the Mellinger-Stumptown circuit until a recent decade. Elmer G. Martin is bishop, Lloyd M. Eby and John G. Oberholtzer ministers. This was the home congregation of Preacher Sanford B. Landis (1868-1926). The membership in 1957 was 310.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, pp. 648-649. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Landis, Ira D. "Stumptown Mennonite Church (Monterey, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 22 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/stumptown_mennonite_church.
APA style: Landis, Ira D. (1959). Stumptown Mennonite Church (Monterey, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/stumptown_mennonite_church.