Sturgeon Creek Hutterite Colony (Headingly, Manitoba, Canada)
Sturgeon Creek Hutterite Bruderhof of the Schmiedeleut branch, located four miles north of Headingly, Manitoba, was founded in 1938 by eleven families with 75 souls who left the Blumengard Bruderhof with their preacher Samuel Kleinsasser, who was chosen a minister in 1933 and ordained in 1942. In 1954, when Sturgeon Creek had a population of 158 with 60 baptized members, a group of 13 families with 73 persons with the minister Jakob Kleinsasser (chosen in 1946 and ordained in 1954) left to found the Crystal Spring Bruderhof, 6 miles southeast of St. Agathe, Manitoba. In 1958 the Sturgeon Creek Bruderhof had 32 baptized members and a population of 98, with Samuel Kleinsasser and Elias Mandel (chosen in 1955) as preachers.
In 2012 the colony was a member of the Schmiedeleut Group 2. The minister of the colony was David Maendel and the manager of the colony was Joey Maendel.
Location: Headingly, Manitoba (coordinates: 49.9297222, -97.4230555 [49° 55′ 47″ N, 97° 25′ 23 W″])
Address: Box 285, Headingly, Manitoba R4J 1C1
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 650. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Decker, David, Samuel Kleinsasser and Bert Friesen. "Sturgeon Creek Hutterite Colony (Headingly, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. February 2013. Web. 20 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/sturgeon_creek_hutterite_bruderhof.
APA style: Decker, David, Samuel Kleinsasser and Bert Friesen. (February 2013). Sturgeon Creek Hutterite Colony (Headingly, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/sturgeon_creek_hutterite_bruderhof.