First Mennonite Church (Sugarcreek, Ohio, USA)
Sugarcreek First Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA) of Sugarcreek, Tuscarawas County, Ohio, was organized as a congregation in the Middle District Conference (General Conference Mennonite Church) in 1926 with 84 charter members under the leadership of Lester Hostetler. The group had withdrawn from the Walnut Creek (Mennonite Church) congregation of the Ohio and Eastern Amish Mennonite Conference. The first meetinghouse here was erected in 1894 as a community church, services being conducted by the United Brethren and Reformed churches. Later the Church of the Brethren also met here. Additions were built in 1912 and 1928. In 1914 both the United Brethren and the Reformed congregations withdrew to meetinghouses of their own; the Church of the Brethren and the Mennonites used it for services each Sunday until 1956, when the Mennonites purchased the Brethren interest in the building and are now erecting a new church. The membership in 1957 was 250, with Harold D. Thieszen as pastor.
217 West Main Street, Sugarcreek, OH 44681.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, pp. 653-654. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: S., Wm. H. "First Mennonite Church (Sugarcreek, Ohio, USA) ." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 18 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/sugarcreek_first_mennonite_church.
APA style: S., Wm. H. (1959). First Mennonite Church (Sugarcreek, Ohio, USA) . Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/sugarcreek_first_mennonite_church.