Sweedlin Valley (Pendleton County, West Virginia, USA)
Sweedlin Valley in Pendleton County, West Virginia, is a narrow valley formed by the Sweedlin Mountain and the Shenandoah Mountain. In the center of the South Fork (branch of the Potomac) Valley the Sweedlin Mountain arises at a point three miles north of Oak Flat and extends north for a distance of eight miles. The South Fork Branch flows west of the Mountain; the valley lying east of the Mountain is known as Sweedlin Valley. During the 1880's ministers of the Northern District of the Virginia Conference had not only entered the Brock's Gap country but had extended their witness as far west as the top of the Shenandoah Mountain. It was here that individuals living in Sweedlin Valley learned to know about the Mennonites and invited them to preach for them. Today the Pleasant Grove Mennonite Church is located in the heart of this valley. In 1958 Lloyd Hartzler was pastor, with 55 members.
Wine Spring Schoolhouse, Peru, Pendleton County, West Virginia, located in South Fork country several miles north of Sweedlin Valley, has been a preaching place since about 1920 as an extension of the work from the Sweedlin Valley.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 668. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Brunk, Harry A. "Sweedlin Valley (Pendleton County, West Virginia, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 24 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/sweedlin_valley.
APA style: Brunk, Harry A. (1959). Sweedlin Valley (Pendleton County, West Virginia, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/sweedlin_valley.