Sweet Home Mennonite Church (Sweet Home, Oregon, USA)
Sweet Home Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), located near Sweet Home in Linn County, Oregon, on U.S. 20, was organized 14 July 1940, with 43 members under the care of the Pacific Coast Mennonite Conference, and N. A. Lind was given charge as pastor and bishop. The first meetinghouse was dedicated 14 December 1940. Archie Kauffman, a minister, located in the community in 1941, and is the present (1958) pastor, assisted by Willard Stutzman (ordained 1948). In 1952 Wilbert Lind was ordained and with his family sailed for Somalia, Africa, as missionaries under the Eastern Mennonite Board. Since 1942 the congregation has maintained a mission Sunday school some 13 miles up the Cascade Mountains, near Cascadia, where a church was built in 1946. Attendance in the late 1950s was almost equal to that of the home church. The membership in 1958 was 125, with N. M. Birky as bishop.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 668. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Lind, N. A. "Sweet Home Mennonite Church (Sweet Home, Oregon, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 18 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/sweet_home_mennonite_church.
APA style: Lind, N. A. (1959). Sweet Home Mennonite Church (Sweet Home, Oregon, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/sweet_home_mennonite_church.