Swiss Mennonite Church (Whitewater, Kansas, USA)
Swiss Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite Church), located near Whitewater, Kansas, was organized by about ten families who left Emmental, canton of Bern, Switzerland, in 1883 and settled in Butler County, Kansas. At first the Swiss worshiped in the Emmaus Mennonite Church. Other Swiss Mennonites joined this group. Soon separate worship services were started, and in 1890 the Swiss Mennonite Church joined the Western District Conference and in 1892 the General Conference. D. Gerber was the first minister. In 1921-1926 John Roth was the leader. In 1929 the membership was 62 and the Sunday-school attendance 180. Theodore Roth was the leading minister 1930-1955. Since 1955 Dan H. Dalke has been the pastor. In 1957 the group had a membership of 141. The change from the German language to the English took place in recent years. After World War II the congregation built a new meetinghouse.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, pp. 671-672. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Krahn, Cornelius N. "Swiss Mennonite Church (Whitewater, Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 21 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/swiss_mennonite_church-1.
APA style: Krahn, Cornelius N. (1959). Swiss Mennonite Church (Whitewater, Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/swiss_mennonite_church-1.