Turpin Mennonite Church (Turpin, Oklahoma, USA)
Turpin Mennonite Church (until 1966 Friedensfeld Mennonite Church) (Mennonite Church USA), a member of the Western District Conference, is located four miles north and four miles east of Turpin, Oklahoma. In 1903 Mennonite families began to settle in Beaver County, where free land was offered to homesteaders. By 1907 a number of families had moved to the Turpin community. The Home Mission Committee of the Western District Conference took an interest in the group, and in 1907 under the leadership of H. R. Voth organized a church with 19 charter members. The first meetinghouse was built in 1908, which was replaced in 1940 by a larger church. The membership in 1953 was approximately 100; the pastor was Levi H. Koehn. In 2008 the membership was 102.
Address: Route 2, Box 21, Turpin, Oklahoma (From Turpin the church is located three miles north on Highway 83 to Highway 64; go 4 miles east on Highway 64, turn at the church sign and go 1 mile north)
Website: Turpin Mennonite Church
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 400. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Koehn, Levi H. "Turpin Mennonite Church (Turpin, Oklahoma, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 19 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/turpin_mennonite_church_turpin_oklahoma_usa.
APA style: Koehn, Levi H. (1956). Turpin Mennonite Church (Turpin, Oklahoma, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/turpin_mennonite_church_turpin_oklahoma_usa.