Vauxhall (Alberta, Canada)
Vauxhall, Alberta Mennonite settlement, about 60 miles northeast of Coaldale, Alberta. In accord with the decision of the Mennonite civic meeting of Coaldale, P. H. Regehr was appointed on 23 October 1929, to investigate possible sites for the settlement of landless persons living in Coaldale. On 8 November 1930, Regehr reported large areas of suitable land available for Mennonite settlement at Medicine Hat and in the Vauxhall district, which would be fertile with irrigation. In 1933-34 both Mennonites (General Conference Mennonite [GCM]) and Mennonite Brethren (MB) from other parts of Alberta moved in. On 15 April 1934, the Vauxhall MB Church was organized, which had 86 members in 1959. The Vauxhall-Grantham Mennonite Church (GCM) had 41 members in 1959. In the summer of 1940 both of these churches were burned down because of the war spirit, but have been rebuilt.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 799. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Thiessen, D. J. "Vauxhall (Alberta, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 23 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/vauxhall_alberta_canada.
APA style: Thiessen, D. J. (1959). Vauxhall (Alberta, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/vauxhall_alberta_canada.