Warnau (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)
|Warnau (now Kościeleczki, Poland)
Source: Wikipedia Commons
Warnau (also known as Koszelitzke, Kosczelitzke, Koselitzky, Koseliczky, and Kezelitzke; now known as Kościeleczki; coordinates: 54.0646, 19.0148 [54° 3′ 52″ N, 19° 00′ 53″ E]; population in 1905, 337; in 2012, 260) is located approximately 4.2 kilometres (2.6 miles) north-west of Malbork (Marienburg), 18 km. (11 mi.) south-west of Nowy Dwór Gdański (Tiegenhof), 27 km. (17 mi.) south-west of Elbląg (Elbing), and 42 km. (26 mi.) south-east of the regional capital Gdańsk (Danzig).
Warnau was granted a charter in 1388 and had its charter renewed in 1471. The first Mennonites settled in Warnau in 1622. Until 1772 Warnau was located in what was known as Royal Prussia (also known as Polish Prussia) in the Kingdom of Poland. The First Partition of Poland in 1772 resulted in the creation of a new province in 1773, called West Prussia, in which Warnau was located. Warnau was situated in the district (Kreis) of Marienburg until the establishment of the Free City of Danzig in 1920. The village came under the control of Nazi Germany during World War II until February 1945, when it was occupied by Soviet forces and returned to Poland. In 2012 Warnau (now Kościeleczki) was a village in the administrative district of Gmina Malbork, within Malbork County, Pomeranian Voivodeship.
The Prussian 1776 census lists 14 Mennonite families with 95 individuals, having the following surnames: Busenitz, Claasin, Dick, Epp, Harder, Hiebert, Neufeldt, Penner, Suckau, Toews, Warckentin, and Wiens. In 1820, Warnau (by now known as Koszelitzke) had 199 inhabitants, of which 49 were Mennonites, constituting almost 25% of the village population. In 1936, the village had 27 Mennonite families with 53 individuals, having the following surnames: Bergmann, Dyck, Enss, Epp, Fieguth, Harder, Knels, Pauls, Penner, Sprunck, Wiebe, and Wiens.
Mennonites who were residents of Warnau were members of the Heubuden Mennonite Church.
Stowarzyszenie Konserwatorów Zabytków. "Kościeleczki." Catalogue of Monuments of Dutch Colonization in Poland. 2005. Web. 17 December 2012. http://holland.org.pl/art.php?kat=obiekt&id=362&lang=en.
Wikipedia. "Kościeleczki." Web. 17 December 2012. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kościeleczki.
Wolf, Hans-Jürgen. "Familienforschung in Westpreußen." Web. 17 December 2012. http://www.westpreussen.de/cms/ct/ortsverzeichnis/details.php?ID=6795.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Thiessen, Richard D. "Warnau (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. December 2012. Web. 18 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/warnau_pomeranian_voivodeship_poland.
APA style: Thiessen, Richard D. (December 2012). Warnau (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/warnau_pomeranian_voivodeship_poland.