Wiesenfeld, a common Mennonite village name. The first village by this name was established in 1867 by settlers from Kronsgarten and their relatives on 23,306 acres of land on the east side of the Kiltschen River that was purchased from the Globa estate. It consisted of 10 farms and a school yard and was located about 1 km north of the present day village of Olexandrovka. Wiesenfeld was affiliated with the Kronsweide (Frisian) Mennonite Church. A second village by this name was established in 1880 near Pavlograd, Ukraine. From here the name was transplanted to Slavgorod (Barnaul), Siberia; Cuauhtemoc, Mexico; and Fernheim, Paraguay. (See Villages.)
Bergen, Heinz. "Two Wiesenfeld Villages." Mennonite Historian 25:3 (September 1999): 8.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 950. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Krahn, Cornelius and Tim Janzen. "Wiesenfeld." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. December 2008. Web. 23 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/wiesenfeld.
APA style: Krahn, Cornelius and Tim Janzen. (December 2008). Wiesenfeld. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/wiesenfeld.