Wolvega (Friesland, Netherlands)
Wolvega, a town in the Dutch province of Friesland, where a Mennonite congregation was founded in 1861. A hall was bought and adapted into a meetinghouse (remodeled in 1875) and furnished with a pipe organ in 1901. The baptized membership then numbered 36; this number was 92 in 1900, 90 in 1926, and 107 in 1958. At first services were conducted and catechetical instruction given by pastors of neighboring congregations. The first resident pastor of Wolvega was J. S. S. Ballot, serving 1863-1866, followed by C. J. Bakker 1866-1868, S. Wartena Jr. 1868-1873, J. Hoekstra 1874-1879, A. Blaauw Kz 1881-1882, G. ten Cate 1883-1891, M. Uiterdijk 1892-1894, F. van der Ploeg 1894-1898, M. van der Vegte Jr. 1899-1913, W. Banga 1914-1930, vacant 1930-1933, the pastor of Heerenveen 1933-1942, vacant 1942-1947, Miss C. Boerlage 1947-1957. In 1957 the pastoral responsibility was given to Miss T. G. Siccama, who, living at Wolvega, at the same time served the Tjalleberd congregation. In the late 1950s church activities were a ladies' circle, two Menniste Bouwers clubs, and a Sunday school for children.
Doopsgezinde Bijdragen (1862): 142 f.; (1864): 168; (1902): 247.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 972. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: van der Zijpp, Nanne. "Wolvega (Friesland, Netherlands)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 18 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/wolvega_friesland_netherlands.
APA style: van der Zijpp, Nanne. (1959). Wolvega (Friesland, Netherlands). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/wolvega_friesland_netherlands.