Woodcrest Bruderhof (Rifton, New York, USA)
Woodcrest, one of eleven communities operated by and comprising the Society of Brothers, is located near the junction of New York State Highways 32 and 213, three miles west of Rifton, about 70 miles north of New York City. It was established early in the summer of 1954 on a woodland tract of 96 acres with about a dozen buildings available for use, to which were added three apartment dwellings, a nursery, and a Center House to replace the Carriage House that burned in 1957. Other buildings served as schoolhouse, a shop, sewing room, laundry, or other maintenance functions. The household, including resident guests and children, comprised about 230 in the late 1950s, of whom 70 were full members; about half of the household was children. Living expenses were met from the sale of quality, educational toys made of wood, sales being primarily to schools and churches.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 976. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Bargen, Bernhard. "Woodcrest Bruderhof (Rifton, New York, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 18 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/woodcrest_bruderhof_rifton_new_york_usa.
APA style: Bargen, Bernhard. (1959). Woodcrest Bruderhof (Rifton, New York, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/woodcrest_bruderhof_rifton_new_york_usa.