Woodlawn Mennonite Church (Chicago, Illinois, USA)
|Vincent and Rosemarie
Mennonite Historical Bulletin
Woodlawn Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite), Chicago, Illinois, located at 1143 East 46th Street, was organized as a congregation in 1951. It grew out of a Sunday school which had been operated several years before that by the staff and students of the Mennonite Biblical Seminary. J. N. Smucker came as the first pastor in 1952. It is a member of the Central District Conference. It is an interracial church in an area of growing African American population. In 1959 it had 51 members, with Delton W. Franz (served 1955-1968) and Vincent G. Harding (served 1958-1961) serving as co-pastors.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 977. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Gingerich, Melvin. "Woodlawn Mennonite Church (Chicago, Illinois, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 18 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/woodlawn_mennonite_church_chicago_illinois_usa.
APA style: Gingerich, Melvin. (1959). Woodlawn Mennonite Church (Chicago, Illinois, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/woodlawn_mennonite_church_chicago_illinois_usa.