Words of Cheer (Periodical)
Words of Cheer, a Mennonite Church periodical for children, ages 9-11, was first published in April 1876, at Orrville, Ohio, by Dr. Henry A. Mumaw, editor and founder. It appeared as an 8-page monthly and was intended to reach boys and girls for reading at home. In 1878 the paper was sold to the Mennonite Publishing Company at Elkhart, Indiana, and was edited by Joseph Summers. In August 1892 Abram B. Kolb was appointed as editor. Other editors were as follows: D. H. Bender 1904-8, A. D. Martin 1908-9, H. Frank Reist 1909-12, J. A. Ressler 1912-36, Ellrose D. Zook 1936-49, Elizabeth A. Showalter 1949- . In 1908 the paper was sold to the Mennonite Publishing House, Scottdale, Pennsylvania, the first issue of the new owner appearing 26 April 1908. In 1892 the format was enlarged but the pages were reduced from eight to four. The paper contains stories, articles, poems, puzzles, and children's letters. It was illustrated and occasionally appeared in two colors. Beginning in 1951 the paper was enlarged to 8 pages and reduced in size to 8 x 10.75 in. Its circulation in 1958 was 26,750.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 978. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Zook, Ellrose D. "Words of Cheer (Periodical)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 20 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/words_of_cheer_periodical.
APA style: Zook, Ellrose D. (1959). Words of Cheer (Periodical). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/words_of_cheer_periodical.