Wostitz (Jihomoravský kraj, Czech Republic)
Wostitz (Wastitz; Czech, Wostice, Vlasatice), now known as Vlasatice, a market village northwest of Nikolsburg (coordinates: 48° 55′ 50″ N, 16° 29′ 17″ E), the seat of a Hutterite Bruderhof which was built in 1557 with the consent of Albrecht Boskowice. In 1574-1622 the areas of Wostitz and Purschitz belonged to the dukes of Thurn-Valsassina. The archives of Liechtenstein (located in Vienna) of the years 1569 and 1571 contain a series of letters by Albrecht of Boskowice that give special recognition to the capabilities of the Hutterian Brethren in agriculture and the crafts. They apparently built the castle in Wostitz, for Albrecht gave his official the commission to make a better proposition with the Brethren for the "new building" in Wostitz. The achievements of the Brethren at Wostitz were very highly valued, as was also their medical skill. Duke Francis von Thurn took his son John Jacob von Thurn, who had been injured in battle in 1583, from the hospital in Vienna to Wostitz where he could have the benefit of the healing skill of the Hutterite physician. On 24 September 1583, he wrote that the Anabaptist doctor in Wostitz had successfully treated his son. He had expelled the Hutterian Brethren from Wostitz two years previously, because the Hutterite servants in the duke's family refused to serve in the merriment on the occasion of a wedding. The Chronicle reports that shortly after the Brethren had moved away the duke's wife became very ill and died after three weeks. In 1591 the Bruderhof in Wostitz was occupied by Hutterian Brethren who had had to leave Pergen and Veitelsbrunn. In 1617 they (50 persons) were violently expelled by Duke Veit Heinrich von Thurn, with the loss of all their property.
Archiv für Reformationsgeschichte (1933).
Beck, Josef. Die Geschichts-Bücher der Wiedertäufer in Oesterreich-Ungarn. Vienna, 1883; reprinted Nieuwkoop: De Graaf, 1967.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: IV.
Zieglschmid, A. J. F. Die älteste Chronik der Hutterischen Brüder: Ein Sprachdenkmal aus frühneuhochdeutscher Zeit. Ithaca: Cayuga Press, 1943.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 989. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Hege, Christian. "Wostitz (Jihomoravský kraj, Czech Republic)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 21 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/wostitz_jihomoravsky_kraj_czech_republic.
APA style: Hege, Christian. (1959). Wostitz (Jihomoravský kraj, Czech Republic). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/wostitz_jihomoravsky_kraj_czech_republic.