Yoder Amish Mennonite Church (Rock Creek, Illinois, USA)
The Yoder (Rock Creek) Amish Mennonite Church, the mother church of the Central (Illinois) Conference, was organized by the members of the Mackinaw congregation living in McLean County. It was called the Yoder church because of its long-time leader, Bishop Jonathan Yoder (1795-1869), who had moved into the community from Juniata County, Pennsylvania, in the spring of 1851. In 1853 a meetinghouse was erected at Rock Creek, 4 miles (6.4 km.) north of Danvers, the first Amish meetinghouse west of Malvern, Pennsylvania. The congregation grew rapidly from some 100 to 400 members by 1872. In that year a new meetinghouse was erected two miles south of the old location, later called the North Danvers church. Joseph Stuckey, the later leader in the founding of the Central Conference, was ordained minister here in 1860 and bishop in 1864, and became the leader of the congregation. In 1871 or 1872 the congregation was renamed North Danvers.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 1138. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Bender, Harold S. "Yoder Amish Mennonite Church (Rock Creek, Illinois, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 18 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/yoder_amish_mennonite_church_rock_creek_illinois_usa.
APA style: Bender, Harold S. (1959). Yoder Amish Mennonite Church (Rock Creek, Illinois, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/yoder_amish_mennonite_church_rock_creek_illinois_usa.