First Mennonite Church (Aberdeen, Idaho, USA)
First Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), a member of the Pacific Northwest Mennonite Conference, was organized in Aberdeen, Idaho, on 4 July 1907, with a membership of 36 and the Elder Jacob Hege officiating. Mennonites first came to the area in 1905, when the Aberdeen-Springfield irrigation tract was opened to settlers. Canal builders and land promoters invited German-speaking Mennonite farmers to come to Idaho to help settle that area. The church was erected in 1909, enlarged in 1938, and again in 1947. The congregation had a membership of 357 in 1955, and 223 in 2006. In the 1950s it had two missionaries in overseas service.
Address: 381 Washington & 4th, PO Box 246, Aberdeen ID 83210
Website: First Mennonite Church
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 7. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Harder, H. N. "First Mennonite Church (Aberdeen, Idaho, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. . Web. 23 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/A238.html.
APA style: Harder, H. N. (). First Mennonite Church (Aberdeen, Idaho, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/A238.html.