Des Allemands Mennonite Church (Des Allemands, Louisiana, USA)
The Des Allemands Mennonite Church is located thirty miles (50 km) west of New Orleans, Louisiana near U.S. Highway 90, on "The Old Spanish Trail." It is a member of the Gulf States Mennonite Fellowship (MC USA), and had a membership of 56 in 2010. A congregation was organized in the spring of 1918 but existed only a few years because nearly all of the members moved away. In the spring of 1936, C. A. Wenger and wife moved back to Des Allemands. That fall their son and wife and one daughter with her husband moved to Des Allemands. Shortly after they were established, bishops A. O. Histand, Doylestown, Pennsylvania, and E. S. Hallman, Tuleta, Texas, ordained John E. Wenger as minister and Lester Hackman as deacon. With the exception of these two families, all members in 1955 were natives. Nearly all were of Cajun descent and Catholic background. The pastor in 2010 was Troy Farris.
Address: 17447 Old Spanish Trail, Des Allemands Louisiana 70030
Gulf States Mennonite Conference
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 55. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Hershey, Paul. "Des Allemands Mennonite Church (Des Allemands, Louisiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 2010. Web. 20 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/A44452.html.
APA style: Hershey, Paul. (2010). Des Allemands Mennonite Church (Des Allemands, Louisiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/A44452.html.