Sunnyside Mennonite Church (Arthur, Illinois, USA)
Sunnyside Mennonite Church (formerly Arthur Conservative Amish Mennonite Church), located near Arthur, Illinois, was organized 23 March 1945 with a membership of eight. Samuel T. Eash (Middlebury, Indiana), Nevin Bender (Greenwood, Delaware) and Elmer G. Swartzendruber (Wellman, Iowa) were the Executive Committee of the Conservative Amish Mennonite Conference in charge of the organization. In the summer of 1945 and again in 1946 Minister Shem Peachey of Springs, Pennsylvania, had charge of the congregation; in the winter of 1945-1946 Eli Swartzentruber of Greenwood had charge, and on 21 March 1947 Levi M. Miller was ordained as minister. Bishop oversight in 1953 was under the jurisdiction of Elmer G. Swartzendruber. The membership at that time was 45.
In 2012 Larry Rocke was the minster and membership was 113.
Hershberger, Brenda. Anabaptist (Mennonite) Directory 2012-13. Harrisonburg, VA: The Sword and Trumpet, 2012: 55.
Address: 470 E County Road 675 N, Arthur, IL 61953-7534
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 172. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Swartzendruber, Elmer G and Richard D. Thiessen. "Sunnyside Mennonite Church (Arthur, Illinois, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. April 2012. Web. 24 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/A7815.html.
APA style: Swartzendruber, Elmer G and Richard D. Thiessen. (April 2012). Sunnyside Mennonite Church (Arthur, Illinois, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/A7815.html.