Baden (Ontario, Canada)
Baden, Ontario is a village in Waterloo County (now Region of Waterloo), with a population of 690 in 1955 (3,800 in 2009). It was noted in the 1950s for production of linseed oil and Limburger cheese. The first Mennonite (Amish) settlers arrived here in 1824. There were six Mennonite churches within a radius of five miles (eight km) of the village, two of which were Amish background and one Reformed Mennonite, comprising a total membership of approximately 900 in 1955, about 15 per cent of whom lived within the village. The Baden Mennonite Church originated as a mission built by Peter Moyer in 1913 in an attempt to draw the Mennonites and Amish together.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 209. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Witmer, Leslie H. "Baden (Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1955. Web. 18 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B3390.html.
APA style: Witmer, Leslie H. (1955). Baden (Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B3390.html.