Bair Mennonite Meetinghouse (Spring Grove, Pennsylvania, USA)
The Bair Mennonite Meetinghouse (Mennonite Church) is located three miles (six km) east of Hanover, York County, Pennsylvania. On 14 May 1775 Michael Danner, Sr., of Hanover, a York County Commissioner when the county was laid out, obtained from the Penn heirs with preachers John Shenk and Jacob Keagy, deacons John Welty and James Miller, 12 acres for a meetinghouse, schoolhouse, and burying ground. Possibly the Lutherans and Reformed had an interest in the schoolhouse. The first meetinghouse was used until 1860, and the second house until 1908, when the house used in the 1950s was erected. It was a part of the Hostetter-Hanover circuit of the Lancaster Mennonite Conference of which Richard Danner was bishop in the 1950s. The circuit membership was 122.
Address: 6925 York Road, Spring Grove, Pa.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 214. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Landis, Ira D. "Bair Mennonite Meetinghouse (Spring Grove, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1955. Web. 25 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B3525.html.
APA style: Landis, Ira D. (1955). Bair Mennonite Meetinghouse (Spring Grove, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B3525.html.