Berean Academy (Elbing, Kansas, USA)
Berean Academy, Elbing, Kansas, was founded in September 1946 by the Christian Laymen's Association, later incorporated as "The Berean Christian Laymen's Association." This association was organized earlier in that year for the purpose of opening and operating a Mennonite academy in the Newton, Whitewater, and Elbing communities. Membership in the Association was open to any Mennonite who subscribed to the school's doctrinal statement and contributed $25.00 to the support of the school annually. A nine-member board of directors was elected and entrusted with the responsibility of the affairs of the school.
The academy was located at 201 South Elbing Road on a 10-acre campus just south of the town of Elbing. On this property by the early 1950s had been placed the following buildings: the administration building in which were located the school office, study-hall library, and three classrooms; the auditorium-gymnasium which housed the science classroom, industrial arts shop, dining-room and kitchen, and one classroom; the girls' dormitory, which provided room for 14 girls and a supervisor; and a teachers' residence. An additional residence was planned for some boys.
The school was opened for students in September 1946 with an enrollment of 15 students and two teachers. The work grew through the early years to 58 students the second year, 54 the third, 71 the fourth, and 76 the fifth year, 1950-51. Six full-time faculty members, a librarian, and a cook were employed in 1952. Two buses were used to bring the students to school daily, one from south of Whitewater, and the other from Newton.
Four years of high-school work, grades 9-12, accredited by the Kansas State Department of Instruction, were offered leading to a diploma. Each student was required to take one course in Bible each semester he is enrolled at Berean. It was the purpose of the school to maintain a warm evangelistic spirit that, by the gracious blessing of God, might lead the student first to a saving knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ, and then to a life of surrender to Him for service wherever He may direct.
In 1966 Berean Academy became a non-denominational Christian school. In 2005 the school had 270 students.
Website: Berean Academy
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, pp. 276-277. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Harder, Waldo E. "Berean Academy (Elbing, Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 19 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B4502.html.
APA style: Harder, Waldo E. (1953). Berean Academy (Elbing, Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B4502.html.