Bethel Conservative Mennonite Church (Millbank, Ontario, Canada)
The Bethel Conservative Mennonite Church was organized in 1957 as a schism from the Riverdale Amish Mennonite Church, in which the bishop, Valentine Nafziger, took a more conservative position on nonconformity in attire and withdrew with a like-minded group. The membership in 1958 was 69, with Nafziger as bishop and Kenneth Brenneman as minister. The Bethel group built its own meetinghouse in 1958.
Minister Peter Shantz served in 2004 as a non-salaried congregational leader. In 1965 there were 86 members; in 1975, 50; in 1985, 52; in 1995, 69; in 1999, 43; in 2007, 50. It has been affiliated with the Conservative Mennonite Fellowship (1956-70), and the Midwest Mennonite Fellowship (1980-) The language of worship is English.
Cressman, Kenneth. "The Development of the Conservative Mennonite Church of Ontario." 1976. Mennonite Archives of Ontario.
Address: 3968 William Hastings Road, Millbank, Ontario
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 1065. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Gingerich, Orland and Marlene Epp. "Bethel Conservative Mennonite Church (Millbank, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. January 1989. Web. 23 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B4862.html.
APA style: Gingerich, Orland and Marlene Epp. (January 1989). Bethel Conservative Mennonite Church (Millbank, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B4862.html.