Bethel Mennonite Church (Perkasie, Pennsylvania, USA)
The Bethel (Perkasie) Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite Church) of the Eastern District Conference was located in Perkasie, Bucks County, Pennsylvania. In 1900 a mission of local Mennonite families was started in the Baptist Church. The congregation was organized in June 1905. In 1906 a site was purchased and in 1911 a brick church was built. Ministers who served the church to 1952 were Harvey W. Shelly, 1905; William H. Grubb, 1905-1910; Harvey W. Shelly, 1910-1918; Allen M. Fretz, 1918-1942; Ward W. Shelly, 1942-1951; and Lester Janzen, 1951- . Deacons who served were Harvey H. Baum, 1905-1910; Clayton F. Myers, 1910-1945; Ralph N. Lewis, 1946- . The Sunday school was organized in 1905, The membership in 1908 was 35 and in 1952, 63.
"Bethel Mennonite Church." Mennonite Yearbook and Almanac (1913).
Wenger, J. C. History of the Mennonites of the Franconia Conference. Telford, PA: Franconia Mennonite Historical Society, 1937.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, pp. 312-313. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Fretz, J. Herbert. "Bethel Mennonite Church (Perkasie, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 20 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B48683.html.
APA style: Fretz, J. Herbert. (1953). Bethel Mennonite Church (Perkasie, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B48683.html.