Bible Mennonite Brethren Church (Cordell, Oklahoma, USA)
The Bible Mennonite Brethren Church (formerly Bessie Mennonite Brethren Church), Cordell, Oklahoma, was organized 6 January 1905 with 35 members. At first the meetings were conducted in a country school. A church 36 x 26 ft. was built in 1906, and in 1929 a 56 x 36 ft. church was constructed. Andrew B. P. Schmidt served as the first leader of this group. In 1908 Jacob Reimer was ordained to the ministry and in 1919 as elder. He served the church well as pastor for many years. To 1949 a total of 207 persons have been added to the same by baptism. The 1951 membership was 157 and the pastor, Elmo Warkentin.
The following missionaries had come from this church by 1951: Pauline Foote, Mr. and Mrs. P. D. Kiehn, Mr. and Mrs. Peter Kiehn, all of whom have labored in China; and Mr. and Mrs. Ruben Wedel, who worked among the Mexicans of South Texas.
Address: 1020 North Market, Cordell, Oklahoma
Denominational Affiliation: United States Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, pp. 300-301. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Siemens, John K. "Bible Mennonite Brethren Church (Cordell, Oklahoma, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 23 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B53726.html.
APA style: Siemens, John K. (1953). Bible Mennonite Brethren Church (Cordell, Oklahoma, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B53726.html.