Blough Mennonite Church (Holsopple, Pennsylvania, USA)
Blough Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA) was the first Mennonite church established in Conemaugh Township, Somerset County, Pennsylvania. Located near Davidsville, it had its origin after Jacob Blough was ordained to the ministry in 1804. He was ordained bishop in 1814. The congregation was using its fourth building in the 1950s, three of them having been on the present grounds. The congregation belonged to the Southwestern Pennsylvania Conference (now Allegheny Mennonite Conference) and was the first to entertain the conference after its organization in 1876. Harry C. Blough, bishop, and John A. Lehman, minister, served this congregation of 221 members in 1953. In 2007 there were 102 members.
Address: 794 Woodstown Highway, Hollsopple, Pennsylvania
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 366. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Kaufman, Ammon. "Blough Mennonite Church (Holsopple, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 24 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B574.html.
APA style: Kaufman, Ammon. (1953). Blough Mennonite Church (Holsopple, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B574.html.