Brennemans Mennonite Church (Edom, Virginia, USA)
Brennemans Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), now extinct, was located two miles (three km) west of Edom, Rockingham County, Virginia, under the Virginia Mennonite Conference. The original church was built in 1826 on the farm of Melchior Brenneman (1775-1828), and was used for both school and church services. At some unknown date a larger church, 40 x 50 ft., was built, which was in continuous use until 1919, when the building was sold. What remained of the membership then worshiped at the Lindale Church one mile north of Edom. A Sunday school was conducted at Brennemans for some years beginning about the year 1870. Joseph Geil (1858-1945) attended this Sunday school as a barefoot boy. This was probably the first Sunday school held in the Northern District of the Virginia Conference.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 418. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Showalter, Timothy. "Brennemans Mennonite Church (Edom, Virginia, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 18 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B7426.html.
APA style: Showalter, Timothy. (1953). Brennemans Mennonite Church (Edom, Virginia, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B7426.html.