The Burlington-Missouri Railroad Company, a division of the 1950s Chicago, Burlington and Quincy road, induced a number of the Russian Mennonite immigrants of 1874, through their railroad representative, A. E. Touzalin, to locate on the railroad lands near Beatrice, Nebraska. The leader among the Russian immigrants was Cornelius Jansen, after whose son the town of Jansen later was named. The railroad company vied with the Santa Fe in Kansas, in offering the Mennonites cheap railroad lands, reduced freight rates, immigrant houses, gifts, and passes. Nebraska received only a minor portion of the immigrant settlers, however.
Overton, Richard. Burlington West, A Colonization History of the Burlington Railroad. Cambridge, 1941.
Smith, C. Henry. The Coming of the Russian Mennonites. Berne, IN, 1927: 66, 120 f., 171-175.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 478. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Smith, C. Henry. "Burlington Railroad." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 22 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B8528.html.
APA style: Smith, C. Henry. (1953). Burlington Railroad. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B8528.html.