Burr Oak Mennonite Church (Rensselaer, Indiana, USA)
The Burr Oak Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA) is located in Rensselaer, Indiana. In May 1918 J. K. Bixler of the Indiana-Michigan Mennonite Mission Board first visited this field and met with the six members that were here at that time. For the first five years, ministers were sent to hold services about once a month. During this time the services were held in a schoolhouse, a vacant dwelling, and in a Baptist church. In 1925 with the help of the mission board a church, 24 x 38, was built. It was dedicated on 4 October of the same year, at which time Floyd Weaver of the Yellow Creek congregation (Indiana) was ordained. At this time there were 16 members. In 1945 Weaver resigned as pastor on account of his health; Henry J. Stoll was asked to take charge of the work, and was ordained in 1951. The membership in 1953 was 57, and the congregation was now fully organized under the Indiana-Michigan Mennonite Conference. It was largely Amish in background.
There have been additions to the original building in 1952, 1966 and 1987. In 2009 there were 71 members; the pastors were Philip D. and Virginia Leichty.
Address: 11506 West 200 S, Rensselaer, Indiana
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 479. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Stoll, Henry J. "Burr Oak Mennonite Church (Rensselaer, Indiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 24 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B8571.html.
APA style: Stoll, Henry J. (1953). Burr Oak Mennonite Church (Rensselaer, Indiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B8571.html.