Byerland Mennonite Church (Willow Street, Pennsylvania, USA)
Byerland Mennonite Meetinghouse located in Willow Street, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, is a congregation of the Lancaster Mennonite Conference (Mennonite Church USA). Samuel and Mary Boyer sold one acre of their farm 10 December 1755 along a road, now abandoned north of the James H. Hess farm home, Pequea Township, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, to Charles Christopher and Jacob Boehm, deacons, whereon was built a small log meetinghouse, still standing in 1950, although moved from its first location a few miles. The next church, one-half mile away on an elevated site along the Pequea Valley Road, was built in 1848 when Jacob Brenneman and Henry Charles were deacons. A large cemetery adjoined the church grounds. The well-preserved brick church built in 1879 was extensively remodeled in 1953. It became part of the New Danville-River Corner circuit. Rawlinsville was a mission outgrowth of the congregation. The 1953 membership was 199. Ministers serving in 1953 were Maris Hess and James H. Hess; Howard Eshleman was deacon.
In 2009 the membership was 102; the pastor was Joe C. Garber.
Address: 931 Byerland Church Road, Willow Street, Pennsylvania
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 488. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Landis, Ira D. "Byerland Mennonite Church (Willow Street, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 18 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B91.html.
APA style: Landis, Ira D. (1953). Byerland Mennonite Church (Willow Street, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B91.html.