Chambersburg Mennonite Church (Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, USA)
The Chambersburg Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA) is located at 1800 Philadelphia Ave., Chambersburg in Green Township, Franklin County, Pennsylvania. The congregation is under the Franklin Mennonite Conference. The total baptized membership in 1953 was approximately 265; in 2005 it was 142.
This congregation was organized in the latter part of the 18th century under the leadership of Daniel Lehman (b. 1742), who was ordained bishop in Lancaster County so that he might have charge of the Mennonites who had settled in the Chambersburg community. The first church was built in 1804 of log construction on land given by Daniel Lehman from a farm he purchased when he moved to Chambersburg. Lehman preached the first sermon in the new church in September 1804, and died 22 September 1804, before the next regular service.
In 1857 an addition of brick was built to the original log church. In 1872 this structure was replaced by a new house built entirely of brick, 40 x 60 ft. A third church was built in 1908, also of brick, 52 x 76 ft., on the same land, but on a slightly different location.
Address: 1800 Philadelphia Avenue, Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 547. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Lehman, Rhoda F. "Chambersburg Mennonite Church (Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 24 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/C460150.html.
APA style: Lehman, Rhoda F. (1953). Chambersburg Mennonite Church (Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/C460150.html.