Cheraw (Colorado, USA)
Cheraw, Colorado, the only town in the Holbrook Valley, lies 10 miles (16 km) north of La Junta in Otero County, and in the mid-1950s had a population of 184. The first Mennonite settlers moved into Holbrook Valley at the beginning of the 20th century. The East Holbrook Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), two miles (three km) east of Cheraw, had 130 members in 1949. From about 1900 to 1935 a Mennonite Brethren in Christ church also existed in the community.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 552. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Kauffman, Edward. "Cheraw (Colorado, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 22 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/C46061.html.
APA style: Kauffman, Edward. (1953). Cheraw (Colorado, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/C46061.html.