Christian Evangel (Periodical)
The Christian Evangel, the official monthly organ of the Central Conference of Mennonites, appeared in July 1910. Its initiation marked the culmination of a growing conviction on the part of a number of conference leaders regarding the need of such organ. During most of this period it was a 24-page monthly. Cost of publication was eventually underwritten by the conference and the Evangel was sent without charge to all members of Central Conference churches, such cost being allocated to the churches on a per capita basis. The roster of editors was: A. B. Rutt, 1910-1913; Lee Lantz, 1913-1916; Ben Esch, 1916-1919; A. S. Bechtel, 1919-1920; L. B. Haigh, 1920-1923; W. B. Weaver, 1923-1925; H. E. Nunemaker, 1925-1926; W. B. Weaver, 1926-1938; and R. L. Hartzler, 1938-1957. The publication ended in 1957 after the Central Conference merged with the Middle District Conference to form the Central District Conference of the General Conference Mennonite Church.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 581. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Hartzler, Raymond L. "Christian Evangel (Periodical)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 25 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/C47813.html.
APA style: Hartzler, Raymond L. (1953). Christian Evangel (Periodical). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/C47813.html.