Church World Service
Church World Service, with its executive office in New York, in the 1950s was an interdenominational organization concerned particularly with the placing of refugees and displaced persons and with overseas relief. In 1952 the organization assumed control of Christian Rural Overseas Program (CROP), which it had been supporting from its beginning several years earlier. The Mennonite Central Committee cooperated with Church World Service in China relief, in the Philippines where two workers were seconded to that organization, in Okinawa, and in placing over 600 non-Mennonite European refugees in the United States under Mennonite sponsors.
In 2010 Mennonite Central Committee remained an affiliated (not a member) organization of Church World Service.
Church World Service website
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 602. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Gingerich, Melvin. "Church World Service." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 21 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/C496.html.
APA style: Gingerich, Melvin. (1953). Church World Service. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/C496.html.