County Line Gospel Chapel (Aldergrove, British Columbia, Canada)
County Line Gospel Chapel originated through the outreach of the West Coast Children's Mission. It began when Abe J. Sawatsky of Yarrow took over a ministry originally started by a Baptist group in 1948. He was succeeded by John Guenther from Clearbrook two years later. In 1951, the East Aldergrove Mennonite Brethren Church assumed sponsorship of the work, constructing a chapel to accommodate a Sunday school ministry carried out by Calvin Buehler. Evangelistic work carried out by A. H. Wieler in 1956 led to the establishment of a mission church. John Esau was appointed to lead the church, and the congregation was accepted as a member of the British Columbia Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches in 1958.
The congregation struggled financially and due to population shifts, and for many years the ministry remained a children's ministry. In 1962 George and Edith Penner took leadership of the ministry work. Eventually the congregation distanced itself from the Mennonite Brethren and it was released from the Mennonite Brethren conferences in 1979.
Penner, Peter. No Longer At Arms Length: Mennonite Brethren Church Planting in Canada. Winnipeg, MB: Kindred Press, 1987: 77.
Address: 26620 32nd Avenue, R.R.1, Aldergrove BC V0X 1A0
General Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches (1958-1979)
County Line Gospel Chapel Ministers
County Line Gospel Chapel Membership
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Thiessen, Richard D. "County Line Gospel Chapel (Aldergrove, British Columbia, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. November 2009. Web. 18 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/C688.html.
APA style: Thiessen, Richard D. (November 2009). County Line Gospel Chapel (Aldergrove, British Columbia, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/C688.html.