Crossroads Bible Church (Gulfport, Mississippi, USA)
Crossroads Bible Church (Mennonite Church), until 1957 called Wayside Mennonite Church, four miles north of Gulfport, Mississippi, is a member of the South Central Mennonite Conference. The congregation was organized 13 May 1948, with Edward J. Miller as pastor, who was still serving in 1958. The members are largely natives of South Mississippi. In the spring of 1945 a Civilian Public Service (CPS) camp was established in the area of Gulfport, the men of which assisted in a union Sunday school in the camp church. In the fall of 1947 J. W. Hess held revival meetings at the Gulfhaven church. In just a little more than a year from the time the first members were baptized, a building was erected and a pastor placed in charge of a growing congregation, which in 1958 numbered 25 members.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 903. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Hershey, Paul. "Crossroads Bible Church (Gulfport, Mississippi, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 23 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/C7675.html.
APA style: Hershey, Paul. (1959). Crossroads Bible Church (Gulfport, Mississippi, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/C7675.html.