Dalton (Ohio, USA)
Dalton, Ohio, is a village of nearly 1,600 (2007) located on U.S. Highway 30 in the heart of a rich farming and dairy community of Sugar Creek Township., Wayne County. Mennonite pioneers from eastern Pennsylvania, such as the Martins, Eberlys, Horsts and Buckwalters, settled on territory north of Dalton early in the nineteenth century, organizing the Martin's Church (MC USA). Many of their descendants still live there. The rolling territory southwest of Dalton was chosen by Swiss Mennonites who immigrated to this section as early as 1819. This prosperous Swiss community has since been known as Sonnenberg.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 4. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Mumaw, Stanford. "Dalton (Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1955. Web. 19 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/D2471.html.
APA style: Mumaw, Stanford. (1955). Dalton (Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/D2471.html.