Deutsches Mennonitisches Friedenskomitee
The Deutsches Mennonitisches Friedenskomitee (DMFK; German Mennonite Peace Committee) was established in 1956 as a response to the resumption of conscription in the wake of the rearmament of the Bundesrepublik Deutschland (Federal Republic of Germany [West Germany]) during the Cold War. The German Mennonite peace witness was stimulated by the German collapse at the end of World War II, the influence of American Mennonites, the recovery of the Anabaptist-Mennonite tradition, and a general change in theological thinking. The DMFK was commissioned by the Arbeitsgemeinschaft deutscher Mennonitengemeinden to promote the peace witness. Its mission is assisting conscientious objectors during hearings and in their civilian public service, occasionally publishing pamphlets, and organizing meetings and demonstrations. It employed two staff members in the mid-1980s. After 1976 it became more active because of deepening convictions and growing general awareness of the nuclear arms race.
See also Peace Education
Dreißig Jahre DMFK, 1956-1986. Rammental DMFK, 1986.
Deutsches Mennonitisches Friedenskomitee website.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 5, p. 228. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Lichdi, Diether Götz. "Deutsches Mennonitisches Friedenskomitee." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1988. Web. 19 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/D48955.html.
APA style: Lichdi, Diether Götz. (1988). Deutsches Mennonitisches Friedenskomitee. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/D48955.html.