Dickson's Hill Missionary Church (Markham, Ontario, Canada)
R.R. 2, Markham, ON. Located on the east side of Highway 48 four miles north of Markham. Pastor A. Walsh served in 1975 as a salaried congregational leader. In 1975 there were 38 members. The congregation dissolved in 1977. It had been affiliated with the Mennonite Brethren in Christ (1883), United Missionary Church (1947), and the Missionary Church (1969). The language of worship was English; the transition from German occurred in the 1860s.
The congregation began services in 1850s, and formally organized in 1859. The first building was occupied in 1863 with a subsequent building program in 1952. Abraham Raymer and J.H. Steckley are considered the founding leaders of the group. The congregation originated through division from the Mennonite Conference of Ontario in the 1850s over doctrine.
The congregation dissolved because of declining attendance.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
To cite this page:
MLA style: Shantz, Sidney S. and Marlene Epp. "Dickson's Hill Missionary Church (Markham, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. April 1986. Web. 18 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/D5358ME.html.
APA style: Shantz, Sidney S. and Marlene Epp. (April 1986). Dickson's Hill Missionary Church (Markham, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/D5358ME.html.